GEORGES SEURAT (December 2, 1859 – March 29, 1891)
- Nationality: French
- Field: Painting
- Art Movement: Neo-Impressionism, Pointillism
- ARTiFact: He believed that a painter could use color to create harmony and emotion in art. In 1984, he founded a new optical language called Chromoluminarism; the theory asserted that the scientific application of color was like any other natural law.
- Artist Quote: “Originality depends on the character of the drawing and the vision peculiar to each artist.”
- Notable Artwork (shown below): A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, 1884-86.
- Learn More About the Artist Georges Seurat
- Park West Gallery Artist Biographies
- More Artist Birthdays and Art Trivia
- Take the Park West Gallery Virtual Tour